It might be hard to believe but experts say that 80% of jobs are never advertised. So all the time you spend on your computers perusing the Daily New Record, Monster.com, Indeed.com etc might not pay off. So what should you do to uncover the hidden job market?
1. Know yourself and your skills. Talk to a career professional if you need help marketing yourself and your abilities.
2. Make a list of leads that are in your "network"(friends, relatives, former colleagues, church members etc.) tell them about your abilities and what you are looking for.
3. Create your Personal "Brand" with a professional resume and cover letter. Understand that your resume will not fit every position. Customize your resume to fit the job you are applying for by using specific language in the job description.
4. Do your research. Look into local companies in the Shenandoah Valley and their employment needs. You might need additional training or a certification to pursue your "dream" job.
5. Get OUT there! Join organizations, volunteer, or attend meetings related to the careers and industry that interests you.
Kyle Laver &